What is the Bunuelo Recipe?
The Bunuelo recipe is a typical dessert in many autonomous communities and, above all, during their regional festivals. Each territory incorporates its own ingredients and its own tradition.
One of the best known in Nicaragua country is the Yucca Bunuelos, this recipe has a delicious taste and it is very popular in some of the Nicaragua departments, for example, Carazo, Masaya, and Granada.
History of Bunuelo Nicaragua recipe
The origin of this dessert is unknown, but probably just like the other sweets are known in Latin America, these have Arabic origins. After that, they were probably carried to Spain. Finally, they were brought to “America”, in the middle of the conquest. Therefore, it is likely that this bunueno recipe was brought to the boat that came with Cristobal Colon.
Unlike other countries that make the bunuelo recipe with fried flour and honey, in Nicaragua we make it based on Yucca with cheese and honey.
The combination of these ingredients and the preparation make a delicious Nicaragua easy dessert recipe.
Now that we know a little bit about the concepts and history of Bunuelos, let’s answer the question of How to make bunuelos.
Ingredients of Bunuelo
- 2 pounds of yucca
- 1/2 pound brown sugar
- 1 pound dry cheese
- 1/2 liter oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- Wash the yucca and peel it, then split it to grate it along with the cheese.
- Then add the baking powder and leave it at rest for about 10 to 12 minutes
- Once the time is over, start forming the balls.
- We light our fire and pour oil into our casserole and when it is very hot we fry them.
- The idea is that the balls are submerged so that the bark is fried to perfection.
- Once they look golden, we take out with a spoon, drain the oil and then serve it.
Oh! we are missing something. That’s what we’re going to do!
Honey for Bunuelos
- Take a pot, pour half a liter of water, half a pound of sugar and a little cinnamon, here you can do it to taste.
- Bring to the boil until we see that all our seasoning is thick, once we notice this effect we remove it from the kitchen so that our honey does not crystallize and add 3 to 4 drops of lemon.
- we take the balls on a plate and spill the honey on the bunuelos.