About Pinolillo Drink
Before providing you with the Pinolillo Recipe, we would like to tell you more about this delicious drink made by people from Nicaragua.
Pinolillo is the most representative drink of Nicaraguans, and its popular consumption makes them known as “pinoleros”. The main ingredient is corn accompanied by cocoa and cinnamon that combined gives it an exquisite flavor.
Therefore, its ingredients guarantee a very particular flavor that pleases the drinker. There are other delicious ingredients that we can add for example cinnamon in branches, pepper of Chapas and clove, to finally grind everything.
The curious is not only in the drink itself but in the containers that are used to taste it because in Nicaragua they traditionally serve it in the so-called Jícaras, artisanal containers made with the hard shell of the fruits of the Jícaro tree.
The “Jicaras” are decorated with engravings of flowers and landscapes that make them real works of art known as Jícaras, much appreciated by foreign tourists and Nicaraguans themselves.
The drink usually has a slightly thick and sandy texture with a pleasant smell that awakens the palate and spread throughout Central America by migrating Nicaraguans, reaching as far as Costa Rica.
The pinolillo has various forms of consumption; for example, some people add milk to it and others add chocolate. In conclusion, you must try to prepare this delicious drink and you are in the right place to learn how to create Pinolillo and how to prepare the drink.
Pinolillo Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal panty.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 3 teaspoons sugar or honey.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Jamaican pepper (allspice).
- 1 pinch ground cloves.
- 1 cup skim milk.
- One cup of cold water.
Pinolillo Drink Method
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add cornmeal. Heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until lightly toasted.
- Go to a blender. Add cocoa powder, sugar or honey, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, milk, and water. Grind until a sparkling pinolillo is present.
- Serve nicaraguan pinolillo in cups.