What is the Nicaraguan Quesillo Recipe?
The Nicaraguan quesillo recipe consists of corn tortillas that have melted cheese, a little onion combined with vinegar and a little cream.
History of Quesillo in Nicaragua
The history of Nicaraguan Quesillo is not too much famous and noticeable, this is due to there is no too much information about this Nicaraguan plate.
We don’t actually know exactly the origin of the Nicaraguan Quesillo recipe, but we know the places where it has been sold the most and where there is more recurrence of people to eat it.
The quesillo of Nicaragua is eaten in the following cities: Nagarote, la Paz Centro and Chontales.
In 1902 the Nicaraguan Quesillo began to be popularized, some historians consider that this Nicaraguan dish has been marketed since the last century.
This marketing began when the first train was created in Nicaragua. Therefore, many people started their business selling the Quesillo and did it in braids with corn tortillas or bread wrapped in bananas leaves.
Basically, the structure of the quesillo was different from the one it is today.
Many years have passed and this dish has been modified many times just to be one of the most delicious Nicaraguan Food.
Nicaragua Quesillo Ingredients
- A corn tortilla
- Quesillo cheese. The cheese is white and soft.
- Onions finely chopped in vinegar
- Sour Cream
How to make the Onions for the quesillo?
- Grab the raw onion and bring it to a boil in water.
- Once it has some cooking, dip the chopped onion.
- Make sure it’s not overcooked or raw.
- Leave for at least 4 minutes.
- After a time, we take them out and put them in black vinegar.
Nicaraguan Quesillo Method
- Roll the tortilla around the cheese.
- Add the onions in vinegar.
- Finish with salt and a splash of sour cream.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious Nicaraguan Quesillo.