The word Nacatamal comes from Nahuatl nacatl, meaning meat, and tamalli, which is tamal (meat tamal). It is one of the oldest dishes in the history of the country and its origins are recorded before the Spanish Conquest. However, the way it was prepared evolved with Colonization. In this article, we will show you the original and authentic Nicaraguan Nacatamal Recipe.
Before the arrival of the Spaniards, the dough was only seasoned with herbs, achiote and tomato or deer meat were added, wrapped in corn leaves and steamed. After the conquest, the pig began to be used and the butter stirred with the dough. This added a lot of softness and totally changed its flavor.
The use of pork in the Indian spoon is explained: “The pig soon became the meat of the poor”. For indigenous people, it was cheaper and easier to raise pigs than cattle. Therefore, it began to become popular in its typical dishes.
Today, the Nacatamal represents a source of work for many Nicaraguans, as it is one of the main dishes to eat at breakfast during the weekends. Prices range from 1 to 2 dollars and can be purchased in different neighborhoods of the country.
Nacatamal Recipe Ingredients
- Three pounds of corn
- Two bows of peppermint
- Two pounds of potato
- Three bags of achiote
- Three large onions
- Three big sweet pepper
- Three garlic cloves
- Five tomatoes
- Two pounds of rice
- Four pounds of pork post
- A dozen sour oranges
- A bag of salt
- Half a liter of butter
- 2 bags of lime
- Banana leaves
- A fine-drinking roll
Nacatamales Recipe Method
- Cook the corn with a little lime, until it bursts. Allow to cool, wash with water while grinding.
- Set the dough, bake with the butter, salt to taste and stir constantly.
- Wash and liquefy the mint, garlic, onion, chiltoma and add to the boiling dough along with the sour orange juice and continue mixing, making sure that the dough is neither very solid nor very soft.
- Saute the rice for three minutes, come down from the heat and cool.
- Wash tomatoes, potatoes, remaining onions, and sweet peppers; and cut into slices.
- Wash the meat and cut into medium pieces, adobe with achiote and a little onion.
- Pass through the fire the slob leaves, until they are soft and smooth.
- When the dough is cold, I take medium portions and place on the bananas leaves. Put some rice, a piece of meat, a slice of tomato, an onion slice, a slice of potato, a slice of chiltoma and mint leaves.
- Wrap with the slug leaves from corner to corner and then cross-shaped mooring with the mecate.
- Place the Nacatamales in a spacious pot with four liters of water and leave them on fire for two hours until well cooked.