Let’s talk about the delicious Nicaraguan Desserts
The typical Nicaraguan Desserts deserve special attention in the land known as the lakes and volcanoes, one of the most famous desserts is the “Cajeta” (fudge). There are different types of Cajetas and we are going to talk about them in this article.
In many occasions, they are common in certain seasons such as Christmas sweets, new year, faithful or simply the typical desserts of Nicaragua that are as widespread and traditional as the typical Nicaraguan food.
Nicaragua is a place that in addition to natural beauty, it also offers a wide variety of Dishes, drinks and also
desserts that are very desired for their texture, aroma and unique flavor.
These can be found throughout the national territory, although it is important to mention that some are very characteristic of certain areas, for example in Masaya the Cajetas de coco (coconut Fudge) are very popular, they can be found in the central Market but also people always sell them in the streets.
Popular Nicaraguan Desserts
Among so many varieties you can choose the one you want the most. Among the most common sweets we find:
- Cajeta de coco (Coconut fudge)
- Cajeta de Leche (Milk fudge)
- Cajeta de Papaya (Papaya fudge)
- Nancite candy
- Ayote en Miel (Pumpkin in honey)
In this article, we are going to share a couple of these delicious Nicaraguan dessert recipes so you can try it out and taste it. Let’s take a look at the recipes below:
Cajeta de Coco Recipe
How to make the traditional Cajeta de Coco of Nicaragua? keep reading here, you’ll learn and make it easy and fast.
Cajeta de Coco Ingredients
- 3 shredded coconuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound sugar (depending on how much you’re going to do)
- Clove (to taste)
Cajeta de Coco Method
- Put a pot and pour the sweet, along with the milk and also the cloves at a slow fire, until it takes a form of caramel with a characteristic of pink color.
- Stir in the shredded coconut, which should be mixed until with the utensil that is rocking it there are no leftover sweets.
- Finally, remove from the heat and mix it to another pot.
- Put foil on it and butters it.
- Let it in a cold and when it’s ready it just cuts it and shapes it to your liking and you’ll be ready to enjoy it.
Cajeta de Leche Recipe
It is not known for sure what is the origin of the Cajeta de Leche, however, we know that it is a sweet made in large quantities in the departments of Masaya, Carazo, and Granada.
Cajeta de Leche Ingredients
- 1lt milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 ounces of rice
- In a pot, pour the milk, add sugar and cinnamon
- Keep the mixture moving while we wait for the cooking
- After the milk was reduced 1/3 we added the rice that should be washed and blended with water.
- Keep moving our mixture until we get the texture of the box (something chewy)
- In a container let it cool down.